Troubleshooting E-Mail Problems
If you're having problems getting your e-mail, try these steps to help diagnose the cause of the problem.
Is this a new account you're trying to set up? If so, please review the settings outlined in our E-Mail Account Setup Section.
If this is an account you've had set up for a while and have not had any problems before, then there are several possible areas to look for causes. Please read on.
Checks to make:
Document what problems you are seeing
Write down the specific problems. Are unable to send mail, receive mail, or both? Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to send or receive? If so, write down what these error messages are saying. If you have more than one e-mail address set up in your client e-mail program, determine if they are are having problems or just specific accounts.
Were there recent changes made to your software or hardware?
- If so, then check to see if these changes have created a problem. Double check your e-mail account setup in the client e-mail program you are using and send a test message if that option is available.
- If not, then please read on.
Could this be an Internet connection problem?
If you only access your mail from one device (desktop PC, laptop or phone), check your network connection.
Are you able to surf the web on the computer/device where you're having trouble?
- If you cannot surf the web on this device, then it is Internet connection problem. Check with your Internet service provider to see if there is a known outage.
- If you can surf the web, then it is not an Internet connection problem. Please read on.
Check to see if you can get your mail directly from the Mail Server
If you have web browser access, you should be able to go directly to the mail server using a browser. For our standard hosting accounts, you should go to your WebMail login page attempt to login there. This is explained in depth in the Accessing and Managing Your E-Mail With a Browser section on this page.
- If you can successfully access your mail via a browser, then the problem is most likely in the e-mail program you are using on the computer/device with the problem.
- If you cannot login successfully, then the problem is on the mail server. Please contact us and let us know if this is the case.
Are you having the same problem is the same across multiple computers or devices?
If you access your e-mail from multiple devices, check to see if you're having the same problem on all of them.
- If you are having the same problem on all your computers/devices,, then the problem is most likely on the mail server. In this case, please let us know.
- If you are seeing this problem only on one or some devices, then the problem is on those devices or in how those devices connect to the Internet.