And the trend is moving towards greater security of personal information. There have been numerous major data breaches in recent years that have affected millions of people. As a result, consumers are more concerned than ever about the privacy and security of their personal information. A growing number of people consider privacy to be a fundamental human right, and expect web sites to honor this.
Survey your web site
- Where on your web site do you collect personal data from your visitors? This includes forms, shopping carts, e-mail newsletters.
- What information do you collect in each of these instances? This includes names, e-mail addresses, addresses, credit card data, etc.
- How do you use this information?
- Do you store this information? If so, how long do you keep it?
- How do you protect the information?
- What control does the customer have over their personal information? How do they opt-out?
You may find these web sites helpful as you develop your draft policy:
The Better Business Bureau
The Privacy Trust
- Your attorney
- Your web developer (Etherjazz)
- Trusted business partners or friends
While we can't give you legal advice about privacy policies, we can help you survey your web site to identify where and how personal data is collected. This type of survey is a great start to writing a policy. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this further.
Posted: June 2019